Wednesday, January 7, 2015

She Chose To Live Bravely and Flew



Happy New Year 2015!  Hope everyone's holiday season was a good one!  Mine was a little hectic & very busy, but for the most part enjoyable.  Alas, the holiday's are over, decorations put away, and I'm finally able to write my 1st blog post for 2015.  

Picking up where I left off...the pillow design "Freedom Wings."  Who knew that a lady with butterfly wings would become one of my most popular artwork designs to date.  She not only became a pillow design, but very soon turned into a tote bag, and t-shirt design as well. I received quite a few requests for this particular design.  Needless, to say I was ecstatic!  Then it happened...a twister!   

Customer: I love your butterfly lady design.  But, I was wondering, is it at all possible to change her face & hair to represent me? (ethnicity/race 

Me: Hmm...let's see what I can do.  I'll get back to you on this.  

As a self-taught artist I often develop what you can refer to as nervous anxiety when I get a request that  causes me to step out of my comfort zone.  Hence, beginning the struggle of a conversation amongst my 3 persona's...Amateur Artist, Madame Picasso, and Me.  "Amateur Artist" enjoys her comfort zone.  Thinks every piece of art should stay as is after it's completion.  In other words if it ain't broke why fix it?  "Madame Picasso" loves exploring change and the "What If''s."  Her answer to trying something new is always "Sure...why not!  Let's do it!"  Then there's "Me", the ultimate decision maker.  Which is the toughest position to be in, and the hardest job to do.  Mostly because "Amateur Artist" & "Madame Picasso" make very good arguments.  "Madame Picasso" gets her way most of the time which is very nerve wrecking to "Amateur Artist", and leaves "Me" exhilarated and nervous all at the same time.  Often times after the decision is made it leaves "Me" wondering if what was decided was the right thing to do.  Well, in the case of the aforementioned request "Me" did make the right decision!  "Madame Picasso" prevailed & Freedom Wings II was born.   

When "Madame Picasso" scores a WIN  it is a triumphant reminder to not allow the fear of "Amateur Artist" to keep "Me" from spreading her wings & flying.  However, "Amateur Artist" does keep us all grounded & reminds us not to take on things bigger than where we are as an artist.  We have done this on more than one occasion & trust when we say telling someone "No, I can't" is not a bad thing.  The artwork/design "Freedom Wings" helped birth a lot more art pieces which I will be sharing over time.  Posted below are pics of the "Freedom Wings" tote bag, and t-shirt.  Also, the "Freedom Wings II" t-shirt.  Until next time...peace & blessings ♥ 

  
--

Tee-iabo Designs (Tee-ah-bow) ~ Artist, Sonya M. Jones designs one-of-a-kind inspiring clothing, home items, canvas art & jewelry. Express yourself..Bee who your are! www.tee-iabodesigns.com





Freedom Wings Tote Bag

Freedom Wings T-shirt (hand-dyed)

Freedom Wings II T-shirt (hand-dyed)


10 comments:

  1. Love love love it. You know I just discovered the art in me I love creating things it's like a whole new world to me. Must be that Sag thing kicking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kita! I'm glad to hear that you've been bitten by the art bug. Loved the hair salon piece you did. Awesome. You know we Sags are very talented in the creativity department. Can't wait to see what else you do. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post.......I am glad you chose to step out of your comfort zone...it is not easy. But you created something that she will be able to cherish and you gave "Freedom Wings" the ability to fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen! Nope it's not easy stepping into uncomfortable, but I'm getting better. <3

      Delete
  3. You ended 2014 with such momentum that I know 2015 is going to be an incredible year for you, sis! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Sis...I hope so. Excited to see what this year will blossom. :)

      Delete
  4. I love both designs and am honored to have had the inside look while you worked on the two of them. Go girl, you did really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, the peanut gallery was definitely walking through the trenches with me on this project. lol I thank both you and Antoinette for allowing me to vent, scream, and pout my frustrations. Then reeling me back in to get the job done. Love ya both. <3

      Delete
  5. Love this design soooo much....Can you do the t-shirts in plus sizes? I have a friend who is starting cancer treatment (radiation) and I would love to get her one to cheer her up. Email me if we can arrange something jenfbs@gmail.com. I'd appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen! Yes, I can do plus sizes. I will email you in a bit.

      Delete

I ♥ when people leave comments.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin