Thursday, January 29, 2015

I Work In My PJ's...So What!





I’ve been in business for myself, working from home for what will be 5 years in March.  My work is advertised daily on most social media web pages...Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr...etc.  You name it, I'm on it!  I have a business website, business cards, have entered 2 contests, participated in 5 craft selling events, have sold a fair share of goods, and have an active blog.  All I have mentioned has been disclosed on the internet and, blog posts over the years.  Yet, I still get asked the #1 question most Work-At-Home-Moms dread..."So, are you working now, or are you still a Stay At Home Mom?"  Grrr...really???  Kill me already!  I have a job!  So what I can do my job while wearing my PJ's.  Just because I'm not punching a time clock or wanting to punch someone's lights out because they're all chatty before my morning cup of coffee doesn't make my job any less real people!  It's bothersome to remind others that, though my line of work may look to be as fun as a kid in an art class—it’s real work!

Now don't get it twisted!  There's nothing wrong with being a Stay-at-Home-Mom!  They do just as much work as a mom who works outside of the home does, if not more, only without pay.  Becoming a Work-at-Home Mom adds a little more multitasking to your day though.  It's a constant juggling act.  However, what really stings in all of this is the blank stare, or the moment of silence, like someone just died, the person gives me after asking..."Oh, you work from home?  What do you do?"  My response, "I'm an artist." 


Oh....hmmm Blank Look emoticon (Brown Emoticons)


My response coupled with the fact that I consider being an artist work does not score high on the rector scale of career choices with a lot of people.  Why is it so hard for people to accept being an artist as a real job or career choice?  Could it be because most famous artists are dead?  Could it be because my name is not in lights & I'm not mingling amongst the status quo?  Or, could it simply be that people think of "art" as a“hobby", and the term “artist” does not imply that one could be a “professional”, “expert” or “business-minded" individual?  In my opinion practicing art is what you make it to be.  It can be a hobby, but it can also be a successful career.  The choice is yours.  Yes, a career based in art is kinda risky, but isn't life a daring adventure?  Any daring adventure has risks.  You will bump into obstacles for sure, everybody does, but victory will prevail once you've overcome those obstacles.  Not many people find their passion, and are able to make it their line of work, a noted point my hubby reminded me of.  Yeah, yeah...I may never make a lot of money, but for me that doesn't matter.  What matters is that I am happy getting up every day to paint, and draw.  What matters is that I work really hard at my career.  What matters is that I am passionate about the work I create, and the people I work with. Because of all these things, and my successes, it has helped make me who I am... an artist.  I believe in time that I will make a profitable living doing what I love.  Possibly more than I could ever imagine. 

FOR those of US Work-At-Home Moms that work hard not only creating our work, but selling it, keeping the books, marketing, exhibiting and invest in ourselves…SAY IT LOUD, I’M AN ARTIST, AND PROUD!

Until next time...peace & blessings




Tee-iabo Designs (Tee-ah-bow) ~ Artist, Sonya M. Jones designs one-of-a-kind inspiring clothing, home items, canvas art & jewelry. Express yourself..Bee who your are! www.tee-iabodesigns.com




14 comments:

  1. Hey, to quote Popeyes "I yam, what I yam." And that goes for artists too :). Kudos to YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Amazing Sis! You have inspired me to start my own business in Event Planning. I just have to make my moves! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda! I'm glad you are going to start your own! It's truly a great experience if you allow it to be. There are up & downs, but to me it's worth it!

      Looking forward to see what you do. You are talented with color coordination, fashion & decor. I know you'll do well. :)

      Delete
  3. It does feel so negative when someone asks, 'so do you have a job yet?' or says, "Oh, she doesn't work anymore." I've heard both, and I freelance and blog to pay my bills...the hours are way longer and the pay is way less, BUT I like it more. Still... I'll likely return to the job market, just because I can't pay my student loans off this way. *sigh* :)

    YOU most definitely have a job. If I had the talent you exhibit in your products, I'd be chomping at the bit to leave the corporate world for the very real world of being an artist too. You're lucky to have the gift. I think it's wonderful that you nurture it by having it as your FT job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rosey. I believe I heard them all when it comes to comments about me not having a job in the traditional sense. Paying student loans....Ugh! I can't do that solo right now. That's what hubby is for...lol. Hopefully, in the near future I will be able to tackle that debt. Until then I'm happy just being to replenish my art supplies, post packages, and buy something to add to my not so up-to-date wardrobe. :)

      Delete
  4. Girl you nailed it! I love your explanation. It is a reality check being on the other side of the fence. And no one will fully understand until they've walked in your shoes. When my parents stayed with us for a couple of weeks in November, they saw the day in and day out that they don't normally see for a weekend visit. Of course my dad has never said anything negative. But he is human and he made the comment, "Wow you really work hard". Now I need to get my MIL here to see the same thing. It is a blessing to have your own business, keep striving to be your best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Kenya about people not understanding until they've walked in your shoes. People look at my life like it's a walk in the park. I'm glad I make it look easy. That means my stress isn't showing :) MIL will only see what she wants to see. If you had a 9-5 job then she would say you work too much & not spending enough time with your family. MIL's...you're either winning or NOT. There's no in-between. :P

      Delete
  5. You tell 'em! I agree with Kenya. It's hard to understand unless they have experienced it. Heck, self employed people tend to work harder than the 'guaranteed' paycheck people. The icing on the cake for self employed people, who love what they do, is actually enjoying getting up and getting to work. You don't experience things like the Monday blues or the Wednesday hump, etc. We rarely even know what day of the week it is. And I never know when the holidays are. That's the beauty of being doing something you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Vanessa! I love what I do, and do what I love. There's nothing wrong with that!

      Delete
  6. Right on ! Having an online enterprise is an all-encompassing, time intensive endeavor. I've been there, done that with my handcrafted jewelry. Promoting my art and my old etsy shop (which I closed quite some time ago) was a 24 - 7 job. 24 hours a day 7 days a week, month after month. It was far less work to have a job in an office where I worked 8 hours a day and had my evenings to do as I pleased (or needed) and Saturdays and Sundays off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it Almost Precious. I really hope you can go back to making jewelry as a hobby though. Your pieces were beautiful. You have a real knack for it. Nobody should deprive themselves totally of things that make them smile. :)

      Delete
  7. A very well-written post. I read and liked the post and have also bookmarked you. All the best for future endeavors. Getting some solution regarding.
    UI Design Companies in Bangalore, Web Application Development Companies in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just keep visiting this blog from past two years. The posts here are unique and useful than other blog posts. Such a great info provided in this post. Keep providing useful post in this blog .I appreciate author for this valuable post.
    Culinary Schools in Dubai | Dubai Cooking Schools | Sugar craft courses | ICCA

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ when people leave comments.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin