Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Peek Into My Window To See How I Paint



So, I decided to take time out to record & share through pics, the process of creating a design.  Fabric painting isn’t rocket science, but the more that you know in advance, the fewer mistakes you’ll make along the way.  Fabric paint is PERMANENT paint. It’s not meant to be removed.  If I make a mistake, it’s now a permanent part of the shirt/onesie/pillow/ - whatever I’m painting.  If I have paint on my hand, and I begin to paint a shirt, there’s a good chance that I’ll get the paint onto my shirt from my hand. Then I would have to reach for my emergency stash of chocolate & rack my brain cells on what to turn that spot into because it was not part of the original design.  This is why me exercising is so important.  I can easily gain 2-3 lbs over a paint blob mishap.  Enough said...now onto showing how I do - what I do:


First, before all else I pre-wash the fabric.  The fabric will shrink, wrinkle & deform if I skip this step.  After washing & drying, I iron the fabric to smooth out any wrinkles.  With shirts & onesies I like to fold them in half long ways to form a crease.  This helps to keep the design centered as I paint.  Now, it's time to paint!  By this time I've already drawn up the design to use as a blue print for outlining it onto the fabric.
 Next:

1.  I place cardboard in between onesie/shirt to prevent paint from bleeding through to the other side.

2.  Referring to the blueprint, I Paint the design outline using a preferred color.  Sometimes I draw the design with a pencil onto the fabric 1st, then go over it with paint.  Most of the time I freehand with my paintbrush.

3. Fill in design with desired paint colors.

4.  Finally, I heat press the painted design using an iron, and add any embellishments as a finishing touch. 


...And there you have it!  How I do - what I do!  Below are pics of me designing a onesie I completed just before Christmas, along with the finished outcome!   Hope you like!  

Until next time...peace & blessings






Leopard Butterfly
http://www.tee-iabodesigns.com/lil-hummers-pg--2.html

14 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and unique I don't think I have seen anything like this. I would love to get you in the magazine with your creations at anytime. Kita kokoamag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I would love to be featured in your magazine. Welcome the opportunity with open arms. Just let me know when & what I need to do.

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful Sonya, I don't think you charge enough for all the love you put into your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kenya. I know, but pricing correctly is always an issue. Sigh...I'll figure it out one day.

      Delete
  3. I agree that the more you know before hand, the better it turns out. That being said, mine wouldn't look like this no matter how many times I practiced. I already know!! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Rosey you're funny. You should try though. Start with making something for your son. There may be a budding Picasso in you yet. That's how I started, and the rest as they say is history.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work Sonya! I haven't painted on fabric in years - it definitely takes patience! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ♥ Yes it does take patience, but I love doing it. Better yet, I love the results.

      Delete
  5. It's just so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your process with us. The leopard adds such a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little green with envy that your designs are just super fabulous and I don't have one artistic bone in my body!!!. I've always felt a little bad that I have never ordered anything from you, especially since I love your baby designs. BUT I have news you will be getting two orders from me 1. my nephew Chris and his wife Nan are expecting in August and 2. my stepdaughter who is living with me's son in Cyprus and his girlfriend are expecting in late November. Once I know the gender of the bundles of joy I'll let you know. I have to tell you the gifts I appreciated most when I had my babies were the hand made, ones that were thoughtful and personal and original. And that my friend is what I love about your designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you Jen! Aww...congrats on the new additions! I adore babies ♥ You know our family will be moving down to your neck of the woods in July. We are putting the house on the market in March. So, your order can be special delivery over a cup of coffee or we can do lunch. It will be exciting to finally meet one another. I'll let you know what our plans are as the time nears.

      Delete

I ♥ when people leave comments.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin