Monday, January 20, 2014

Celebrating MLK Day Memories Throwback



Together as a nation today we celebrate, and observe the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  When my children were younger I would bake either cupcakes or a small cake in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. birthday. Then we would read stories & play games that focused on the life/work of Dr. King.  Even though we had the day off from work/school, I didn't want to let an educational opportunity pass by.   I made it a point for them to know who Dr. Martin Luther King was and how he greatly contributed to our country.  I felt it was vital to teach my children about important events in African-American history, and the struggle for civil rights.

Over the years, we’ve learned about Martin Luther King Jr. by listening to his great “I have a dream” speech that took place on August 28, 1963, at Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC.  We also looked up MLK’s famous quotes, read them to one another, and talked about what they meant.  One of the best ways to teach my children about MLK was reading stories about his life, and work.  Being an artist I believe simple, but beautiful illustrations speak volumes to us.  These are precious memories that I enjoyed thoroughly while spending time with my children.  Nothing truly brings family & people together like a commemorative event.
 

How do you & your family observe MLK Day?   HAPPY MLK DAY! 

Until next time...peace & blessings




 

10 comments:

  1. We celebrate with a day off school, woot! :) ;)

    My son's been talking about MLK, Jr. for a week so I broke out my 'I have a dream' speech on CD. I like to hear him speak, and my son was amazed I had it in the house (my daughter rolled her eyes at me, because she's 14). ;)

    I read a Martin Lischer book once that tapped into a lot of his unpublished speeches. I bet it was a thing to be there in person and hear him preach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear that your son shows excitement in learning about MLK. LOL! @your daughter. Girl teenagers are a hoot! I wish I could go back in time to here one of his speeches live. Like you said "I bet it was amazing!"

      Delete
  2. Normally we do for others even if its something small so I did a logo for free for someone it doesn't take a lot to give back it just takes a few min of your time. Kita (Kokoa)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure doesn't. Giving back is good for the soul & builds character.

      Delete
  3. Hum, this is great! I don't know many parents that put this much emphasis on the holiday. Shameful, but true. You have inspired me not to make the same mistake in the future once I have my own children. Thanks for the observance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joi these were definitely fun times. When children are young they absorb info like a sponge & actually enjoy it when it's fun.

      Delete
  4. Awwwwww look at the babies!!! I'm ashamed - we didn't observe it any kind of way. I'll make up for it next year when stuff isn't going on ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to love doing this with my kids. They are memories that will last for a lifetime & hopefully they will continue the tradition by doing the same with their kids.

      Delete
  5. My dad was a police officer in Washington, D.C. in the early 1960's and was on duty and stationed at the Lincoln Memorial for MLK's famous "I have a dream" speech. I use to love listening to him tell me stories of that day. Funny, he succombed to Alzheimer's a year ago...lost all his memories...except for those of when he was a police officer. One of his last coherent memories he relayed to me was of that day and experience. Bravo to you for instillling and celebrating the importance of this man in our lives. And...cute kids too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite interesting Kathy that your dad could still recall that memory. It must have been nice to have a little of his memory back to enjoy for if only a moment.

      Delete

I ♥ when people leave comments.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin