Friday, November 1, 2013

Driver's Test Blues






My son took his driver's test today.  How can 50 hours of bookwork, and 120 hours of supervised behind-the-wheel driving all be ruined by a parallel parking error?  Sigh...

I remember practicing my ass off at parallel parking when I was preparing for the driver's test.  Got pretty damn good at it too.  Now I rarely need to use it because we live in suburbs of Pennsylvania.  I either pull or back in to park.  As a matter of fact if I were to get tested on parallel parking today I would automatically fail.  A Big Fat "F" which is exactly what Isaiah received before he could even show off his well learned road skills.   It went something like this:  

Isaiah & hubby arrived at the Norristown Penn Dot Driving Center 1/2hr before the test.  After waiting in line for about 15min, Isaiah was instructed to go outside, pull the truck up for inspection of the blinkers (front & back), and tail lights.  Afterwards, a man plopped down into the passenger's seat next to Isaiah, and asked if he had any questions before they began.  Isaiah politely asked a couple of fundamental questions, and then waited quietly until the instructor asked him to parallel park.  When he was told to do so, Isaiah put the car into reverse, and backed up ever-so-carefully.  He did not get close enough to the white line though before putting the car into drive to straighten out.  He had to be within a 12 inches of the line.  Not being so resulted in Isaiah failing his 1st driver's test.  Isaiah stopped the car only to turn his head, and see the instructor circling a whopping "F" on the evaluation sheet.  After telling Isaiah he failed the instructor told him to park, go back inside, and reschedule another test.  Needless to say this will be a  Chick-fil-a shake night.  :(


Parallel parking is considered one of the toughest skills on your driving test.  Countless prospective drivers, in fact, have failed their tests because of it.  Some adults – years after they earned their much-coveted driver’s licenses – still wake up in a sweat after having terrible nightmares about practicing it.  I know I did...took me 3x's to pass the driving test because of it.  While I appreciate the ability to parallel park, there should be some leniency.  Especially, if you live in a state where using this skill is minimal.  Until next time...peace & blessings

13 comments:

  1. They got really strict on parallel parking,Son goes Dec 2nd to take his, because he took his online he has to wait so long after getting permit to try for reg D.L

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I cant parallel park, thank goodness Jacob can . When i took my Driving test back then we did not have to pass parallel parking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still do it. Just takes me a while. I'm surprised you did not have to parallel parking. It seems to be a requirement in almost every state these days.

      Delete
  3. Awww. I failed the first time too. I was driving a stick and the car kept cutting off. My leg was shaking. But I didn't have that parallel parking down anyway. I had it the next time - still in the stick shift ;-) I know your heart was broken for you baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, heartbroken is an understatement. I want this child to get his license so bad I can taste it. To be able to get a break from driving him to school in the morning & to the YMCA would be heaven sent. Hopefully, he will pass the 2nd time around.

      Delete
  4. im 45 LOL back when I was 18 when I took driving test , we did not have to pass it. Now you have to. Jacob can do it thank goodness.I can but takes me a bit .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The times keep changing. Wishing Jacob lots of luck when it's his turn.

      Delete
  5. I failed the first time too. He'll get it. I know he was sad that, it's a huge bummer when it's happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, the 2nd time around will be a charm.

      Delete
  6. There's always Next time...and he will always remember his road to "licensedom"

    :

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor thing! I can imagine his disappointment. Don't the new cars automatically do it? I think I heard that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, they might. However, they would never allow that kind of parking on the test. Strictly DIY. lol

      Delete

I ♥ when people leave comments.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin