Friday, February 10, 2012

The minute I heard my first love story...God had already picked you for me.





To kick off Valentine's weekend I decided it would be fun to re-visit my whirlwind romance with my husband.  After spending almost 2 decades together the love & passion is still there.  What's the secret?...hmmm...maybe its cheaper to keep me or maybe because of the life insurance policies we have on each other.  LOL!  Or, maybe...because in every marriage more than a week old, there are always grounds for divorce... & the trick is to find grounds for marriage, and never let the search end.  This in my opinion is what keeps you together.  Have a sit down for a minute while you read our love story.  Hope you enjoy...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How long have you and your significant other been together?

Donald and I met August 1987 & we have been together ever since. 

  
How did you meet? {What’s your “love” story?}


  

 ...were destined to be together

 I will never forget how we met, because of the attraction that led him to asking me out on a date.  I was hired on as a temporary employee in the office where he worked.  Every morning before work I would stop by the local deli across the street from our office.   That deli use to sell really GREAT breakfast's...Mmm.  I would come into the office with french toast & sausage or pancakes & bacon, omelets, grits, bagel sandwiches...you name it, they made it!  Can you see where I'm going with this?...this guy would come past my desk every morning to scope out what I was eating.  I could always see him from the reflection on my computer screen walking towards my desk each time.  This guy would come within a few inches from my desk, and without saying a word he'd stretch his neck out just far enough to see what I was eating then quickly walk away.  This always made me giggle quietly to myself.  I thought he was so darn cute...especially when he wore his suspenders.  Hey, the booty was shapely & defined on those days.  LOL!  What can I say...I'm a booty girl.  During the last week of my assignment he did get up enough nerve to ask me where I brought my breakfast from.  I just knew he was coming over to my desk to ask me for my phone #....nope!  Instead, he waited until the very last day of my assignment to ask me out on a date to the summer concert being given in the city that weekend.  They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.  Ha-ha...the best part was I didn't have to lift a finger to cook!  And...its a good thing too, because at the time cooking for me was a non-existent skill.  Then I might have lost my prospective-to-be husband to Jackie What's Her Face.  Yea, I know she was checking out my man, even though she didn't know he was mine.  Neither did he for that matter, but that's besides the point.  To Jackie What's Her Face...good ridden'sLOL!  We didn't get together for the concert because of a mix-up, but our first date a week later was really nice.  The rest as they say is history.      

  

If married, how long have you been married? If not, is this the guy you hope to marry? {do tell}

  
Donald & I dated for 5 years before we jumped the ole' broom stick.  We got married on June 20th, 1992 and this upcoming June we will have been married 20 years.  WOW...were like a couple of pair of old slippers.  Btw ...I love old slippers.


If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding? If not, where would you like to get married? And will it be big or small?





 Although our wedding was not big by any means, it was lovely.  Our wedding was held in my hubby's Aunt's back yard in Baltimore, Maryland with around 75 guest.  I always wanted to have an outdoor wedding, because of the enchanting essence of it all.  My wedding colors were cream, yellow, and mint green.  The day was just right, no clouds, the sun was shining and it wasn't too hot.  What more could a girl ask for.  My entire wedding attire down to my shoes was made by a seamstress who was a friend of a friend.  I wanted my wedding gown & vale to be a replica of the one Whitley Gilbert wore on the sitcom "Its a Different World."  Everyone I knew on that particular night was glued to the t.v. set to watch this episode of Dwayne Wayne & Whitley Gilbert finally tying the knot.  I still remember Dwayne's pleading cry towards Whitley..."Please baby, please",  so she would marry him and not Byron.  Well, my wedding gown and vale didn't exactly turn out like hers, but I thought I made a beautiful bride.








Do you have any nicknames that you call one another? Do share!

Ha-ha well I call him a lot of things, some good, some not, and some naughty.  We'll just focus on the the good.  My hubby calls me his "Sunshine" after the song "Sunshine by Alexander O'Neil.  He says I brighten up his day with my smile.  I call him my Teddy Bear because his hands are big and heavy like a bears paws.  Also, because when I snuggle up against his chest it is so comforting like a big ole plushy teddy bear.  Chile...I'm snoring like a symphony in 15 minutes flat. 


Name 3 things you love most about your honey.

1.  His boyish smile.  2.  His generous heart.  3.  The way he ♥'s his family.



Tell us how he proposed? Or your ideal proposal?

 OMG...it was too funny!  We were sitting in his car parked on 42nd street in Manhattan & Donald was expressing so  poetically how much he loved me.  All of a sudden this drunk comes out of no where & sits on the hood of the car.  Donald taps on the window to alert the guy of our presence and gestures for him to like leave.  The drunken guy pays no attention & proceeds to get comfortable.  Donald then gets out of the car and starts yelling at the drunken man to get off his car and leave.  The drunk starts saying this is a free country, why are you yelling at me, you're not my mama and they started slinging obscenities back and forth.  My poor husband...his poetic proposal was rudely interrupted by a drunk who wanted to take a siesta.  LOL!  We eventually got rid of the drunk with the help of a policeman.  After about 15 minutes of interference, I finally got my proposal and the ring. 
  

Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?

Both.  A teddy bear and candy for his princess (our daughter) & strawberries, champagne, rose petals, and secrets after dark for me.


Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?

Couch, movie, popcorn, and...Zzzzzzzzz. 


Tell us one thing you’d like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?

Go to Italy! 
  

Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine’s Day.

Sending the children anywhere but home...dress up, go out to a  restaurant of  our choice, then let our imaginations run wild once behind the close doors of our home....without the children.  


Are you asking for anything this Valentine’s day?

Um...let me say again...yes...a house without the children for the ENTIRE NIGHT...LOL.

  
Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.

Respect one another, communicate, show affection, be kind, and date nights are essential.  Never let the flames of the love that brought you together die down.  Kindle that fire always. 

 Show us a picture of what love means to you.


"2002" ~  My Hubby gave me a "I Love my Wife Party" after the passing of my Mom.


Linking up with:
now through Valentine's Day!
 








6 comments:

  1. Awwww, so sweet. You should have done a link up. There could be a whole blog in the comments. Yall are and were adorable. I laughed hard at the suspenders. I know a girl who made her future husband and the story starts with seeing his red suspenders across the club. I got married in '97. So we are going on 15 years in August. Here's a snapshot of the "time" http://www.kenyagjohnson.com/blog/2011/8/13/5-things-i-know-for-sure.html

    P.S. I will still laugh and cry at "Please, baby, Please!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this story so much! Every part of it had me laughing and grinning like a grinning thing who grins. And I love that you said the trick is to find the grounds for marriage instead of divorce.

    Beautiful story! So glad you linked up and shared! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww this is my best blog post.. I really love this post.. What a sweet story Sonya.. You look so amazing, beautiful i just don't know the exact words to describe this photos.. Now i see your daughter is mini you.
    I met my husband 2001 and we married 2006 and we've been together till date. Thanks for sharing this beautiful love story with us.. May the God lord continue to bless your home..amen..
    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE your love story! I think it's poetic justice that a temp job led to a permanent position♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Only astounding poets as yourself would find poetry in our union. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful post...you are a love story worth telling.wishing you both many more years...ps- it seems thta you are both getting younger and younger as the years go by. I love it.beautiful!!!!truly

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ when people leave comments.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin